Gloryhound Irregulars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gloryhound Irregulars

Who let the dogs out?

HomeHome  ForumForum  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?

Go down 
+3
warpath
Chopper
Zar
7 posters

Yes
Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Vote_lcap63%Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Vote_rcap
 63% [ 5 ]
No
Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Vote_lcap0%Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
A forum like this is enough
Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Vote_lcap37%Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Vote_rcap
 37% [ 3 ]
EF is all we need and we should try to get our own forum space there.
Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Vote_lcap0%Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other - reply in post
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Zar

Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Empty
PostSubject: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:03 am

In the past I looked into getting some hosted space where we could have our own picture gallery, forum, email addresses, and web page. In that research I found a few places that we could do this relatively inexpensive and would certainly consider doing it if there was enough interest.

I did not want to do this if there was not going to be any interest. It would be nothing flashy, and although I did a bit of reconfiguration of this forum it is kind of light compared to what could be done on a hosted forum.

I can do a basic web page, I am not good at creating custom graphics but other hounds are. I don't think we need to have a AAA website but could have a nice one. The nice thing with hosted sites is that other people can be given access to work on it.

There were almost no domains available for gloryhounds except in the new EU domain. gloryhound and gloryhounds is still available. Even though the EU does not stand for Entropia Universe I think it would be cool to ahve that domain if we want our own site. I have not checked into if all locations will host that domain, but will do more research if there is desire to do so.

Responsabilities would need to be shared, there would need to be at least one other person willing to assist in maintenace.
Back to top Go down
Chopper

Chopper

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 12:51 pm

I would Love for the Hounds to have a hosted web-space, as I've said.

Maybe we should give this 'ere space a go, and see if we find it inadequate...

Happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this..
Back to top Go down
warpath

warpath

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 5:56 am

I am a real noob when it comes to all this domain hosting and stuff, but what will it cost to have our own web space?
Back to top Go down
Zar

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 9:49 am

warpath wrote:
I am a real noob when it comes to all this domain hosting and stuff, but what will it cost to have our own web space?

I started doing a bit of reseach again and found a few hosts that I like. It would cost somwhere between $65 and $90 a year with the ones I have looked at. Most offer a free domain name, but the EU domain is not included in that. I have found that for around $17 or so to register. One thing I ran into when looking deeper into that is unlike the .com, .org, .info etc domains the .eu domain requires the person that registers it to be a resisdent of an EU country.

Would not effect what we do with a hosting company or anything, just will take a bit more to do.
Back to top Go down
warpath

warpath

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 3:50 am

who set this page up? www.gloryhounds.org
Back to top Go down
Zar

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:16 am

warpath wrote:
who set this page up? www.gloryhounds.org

That was set up a long time ago, but it does not get updated or used much. I think I remember being told that Rooster set it up.

Good point though is we should check and see who owns the gloryhounds.org domain and just transfer it to a new one if that is what we decide to do.
Back to top Go down
warpath

warpath

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 1:36 am

Yeah thought it might be worth a look, like I sid I don't know much about creating web pages, but we might just be able to update this one.
Back to top Go down
dilly

dilly

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 5:38 pm

I think its a great idea that we have a dedicated forum and website.
Although .eu isnt an abreviation of Entropia Universe it would still would be a nice touch.
I know various services that offer domain names for free, although they tend to swamp your site with adverts, much like with our old website.

afro
Back to top Go down
Chopper

Chopper

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 5:14 pm

Yeah, it was the pain-in-the-@$$ ads that really made the old site difficult.

I LOVE the gloryhounds.eu name.. would be loads better, as long as the service didn't swamp us with ads... This one seems to largely keep em out, at least for now...
Back to top Go down
slasha

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 4:34 am

i voted this forum is enough, cos it is , it does the job thats most important with a nice lack of adds, however i shop at liddle/aldi/nettos too so im used to the no frills kinda thing, an all singing all dancing hosted site would be nice , posting the odd pic and screenie would be swell but im not much of a forum whoore as u may have noticed, so other "frills" doesnt rlly do owt for me. Neutral
Back to top Go down
dendri

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 3:55 pm

hello i love the idea of a soc forum and the domain .eu can be very great.
About the price i think more then 50$ for year is expensive. Moreover i think there are around some freehost with the forum plugin already installed. At the end i think this forum does the job very well too. I love the idea of a forum but we don t need a incrwedible portal. For experience i know people don t use it a lot.
by the way
hello guys
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Meg

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 1:29 am

Something like this looks oki and is very usable. Don't want to draw from gametime for some poor bstard who has to sort stuff out all the time =) Had SO many games with SO many forums where all but one ended up in a format like what I look at now. Life is too short. Only reason the One stayed a few years was that so many on there had quit the actual game and was fulltime available to moderate, fix coding glitches and badger various customer services etc into submission.
Back to top Go down
Chopper

Chopper

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 7:46 am

I'm getting into the one we have...

It works well, nuffin wrong with basiv, and it's mercifully Ad-Free...

Meg makes a very good point about the poor schlepp who has to take time out from EU to look after the damn thing...

I'm happy with this one, for now...
Back to top Go down
Zar

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 1:36 pm

This one has proven to be quite useful and easy to set up. When I first was using it I was not sure what we would end up with.

I am glad to see it is getting used more now, I had stopped checking it every day and saw that there were a few people joining that needed to be added to the hounds group.

All have been added.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum?   Do we want to have a dedicated web site and forum? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gloryhound Irregulars :: Hound Chat :: General discussion-
Jump to: