Gloryhound Irregulars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gloryhound Irregulars

Who let the dogs out?

HomeHome  ForumForum  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alpha Dogs

Go down 
+4
GeorgeSkywalker
Coz1969
Ossipon
warpath
8 posters
AuthorMessage
warpath

warpath

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 5:04 am

Just a thought I had.

A while ago we were discussing in this forum putting skills requirement in place. With the goal of oneday moving up into the top 50 societies. Problem is we love the social side of the hounds too much and we keep finding really great new people to bring into the hounds.

I was wondering what people thought about moving into the situation that alot of other socs are in where we have a main soc and like a cadets soc. We could still have the social interactions with all different skill lvls, but also have a group of our higher lvl members giving that soc a higher average skill.

I realise that being a top 50 soc is a long way away, but I feel if we want to achieve this, this may have to be something we do one day. It seems to be a system that works well for othe soc groups.

Don't get me wrong I see the problem with soc chat only working in the soc ur in, but we could maybe consider a teamspeak server or something for us to somunicate across socs or something. There is always FL too so we could have the socs merge for team hunts etc.

If everybody haes the idea thats fair enough, and I am perfectly happy to continue the way we are, like I said it is just an idea I had. I really would love to see this awesome soc of ours develop into one of the uber groups as time rolls on.

just my 2 pecs

please share yours

P.S. I haven't talked to Hurri or Chopper about this so guys I hop I haven't out stepped my position here Smile
Back to top Go down
Ossipon

Ossipon

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 11:27 am

I've considered that option as well, WP, just haven't put words to my thoughts.

On one hand, I like the 'family' sorta association that we have within the soc. However, I do like the idea of a 'higher' skills alpha group. I think it may also be a good idea as I have seen 'recruits' sign up only to just disappear, and that is perfectly fine for an 'entry' level group, but would obviously not be tolerated within an invite only Alpha group.

Couple of questions float around in my head still....

1. How would one become qualified to gain access to Alpha group? Would it be skills based only?
2. If a member was absent for an extended period of time, would that deem a demotion back to 'entry' group?
3. would new members to the Hounds be screened via Alpha group, or would the entry group maintain itself? (recruiting, dismissing, etc)

I have a couple of other thoughts, but I will digress for now, as this is meant to be a light bantering of ideas. If this idea does develop, I would be quite interested in the results... so long as I am in the Alpha group LOL

bounce

Ossi!
Back to top Go down
Coz1969

Coz1969

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 11:48 am

I know it's been something that has come up often..... the problem lies in the fact that nobody wants to leave the Hounds to start the new "Puppy Pound"

I also like the idea of getting to the top 50 and creating a new recruit branch of the Hounds. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GeorgeSkywalker

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Could use a rota system so that we take turns with the puppies. This would help overall group cohesion and help us all to know the puppies and them to know us ...

Plus not too much of a burden to anyone then. I wouldn't mind doing that for a limited period myself. Before I joined the hounds I was considerably setting up my own society but never did in the end. A few times I was tempted to leave the hounds that I ever did either. So in the overall scheme of things a rota system is the best option for us imho.

Aiming for the top 50 is a good idea for the long terrm. Gives us focus and something for everyone to strive for.
Back to top Go down
Chopper

Chopper

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:44 pm

It has been discussed before, and personally I love the idea of having a GloryHound UnderDogs soc, for GloryHound Cadets... The theory presumeably is that they would eventually Graduate to the Hounds proper...

As Coz said, the problem is that no-one wants to leave the Hounds to do it.

The Rota idea has some merit, I like it. Hadn't thought of that before.

I'd love to see the GloryHounds in the Top 50 Most Skilled Socs list, but not at the expense of the warm fuzzy feelings that generally abound. The Hounds have always been friendly and welcoming, and no-one wants to see That change. But if done properly a Hounds Cadet Soc could definitely work well... I'd take my turn, if that's the way we decided to go..

I'm very interested to hear what everyone thinks about this...
Back to top Go down
warpath

warpath

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 9:24 pm

all very valid points. I was thinking that one of the newer members would take the role as leader of the new soc. Hadn't really considered who would do really in depth but.

I like the idea of a rotation, but maybe we should see if anyone is interested in taking the role on full time too, there may be some one who would enjoy the job.

Also it's funny how people's minds work differently. I automatically thought the current soc would be the cadets soc and we would make a new one for the higher ranked one. never even crossed my mind to go the other way Smile
Back to top Go down
warpath

warpath

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 am

If it is something we want to do I would be willing to lead the new Cadets soc. I take a few of the current hounds with lower levels as advisors etc and do the recruiting of new members.

As long as I will be able to return to the position I was in when I left. My goal would be to establish it, build numbers and eventually set one of the most trusted members up as the new leader so I could return to the Hounds.

How does that sound?

Edit:

I was also thinking of names. I think if we went something like glorypups it might be hard to get recruits. I was thinking maybe something like GloryHound Revolutionaries. I assume Hurri got the Irregulars part of the name from the term Irregular Millitary meaning any force that opposes regular millitary forces, so revolutionary has the same meaning.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the origins of the name but
Back to top Go down
Coz1969

Coz1969

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 5:06 pm

Now that you brought up the idea, perhaps GHI SHOULD be the "learning" society.... it makes sense. I assume that with a society we are trying to get to top 50, there will be a skill minimum, or something like that....

How rooooood would it be to kick Hounds out the door that do not meet that minimum?
Back to top Go down
Ossipon

Ossipon

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 7:44 pm

Cozzer - "Now that you brought up the idea, perhaps GHI SHOULD be the "learning" society.... "

I have the same line of thought, Coz. keep GHI as it is, and a new soc should be formed for top 50 place challenge ... Gloryhound Alpha-Irregulars .. sth like that anyway Idea

since it's out in the open, what sorta skillz cut-off are we lookin' at here anyway? scratch I figure the invite to new soc will obviously be skills based, not just good looks and a stunning personality will cut that cheese Razz

I also like the idea of the rota system .. take shifts to visit back and forth between the socs ... count me in for that position as well.

Ossifer Mentossi!
Back to top Go down
warpath

warpath

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 8:12 pm

hard to judge where to sit the entry bar to the new Hounds soc, 80k ? more or less?
Back to top Go down
Zar

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Some nice thoughts here and something I had thought about when Chopper raised the issue a while back. I so wish we had the ability to share soc chat with more than once society it would make it much easier.

I like the idea of doing a rotation, the only downside to that is I can see a new leader coming into that society and not knowing all of the members having a bit more time getting to know them. Not necessarily a detriment to them, just a bit of an adjustment.

I like the idea of keeping the hounds in tact as they are and moving forward with a new society for the higher skilled players, but I wouldn't want that to interfere with the ability to get to know each other.

On another note, I have not logged onto this forum for awhile - work and other things have been a real pita lately and I do a little time on ef and a little time in eu usually. I did get my 100 posts on the new site and then have lot logged on since. I think it may be a few monhts yet until my schedule settles down.

I would really like to have a secondary admin on this site, someone that knows a little bit about forums and can take care of some of the administration when I am not able to. If anyone has any interest let me know - send me a pm - email me at zar@bresnan.net or mention it in game.
Back to top Go down
warpath

warpath

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 am

just on ur concern about a new leaders not knowing everyone and the rotaion system Zar.

I recon that one of us would have to stay to build numbers etc in the feeder soc, but I am sure that after a while they could move up into the Alpha squad and one of the up and coming hounds could take over the original soc, till they are ready to progress into the Alpha squad and they would hand the helm over to another etc etc

again, just throwing ideas out there
Back to top Go down
Coz1969

Coz1969

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Brought the discussion into soc chat last night.... and despite repeated attempts to direct folks to this discussion thread *cough, cough, wink, nudge*, it seems none of the folks in the discussion last night have posted.... so I will attempt to sum up everything here...

Hurri, while not against the addition of another soc with GloryHound affililiation, has stated that he started the Hounds to have fun, create a family of sorts, and will not be moving to any other soc.

Jade and Flick have stated similar thoughts... it seems their previous soc did the same with the whole split thingy, and has since, turned into a complete n00b/sweat gathering/opalo hunting soc. Their thoughts were that GHI might follow the same trend.

While my thoughts are that the idea has merit, I am not certain whether I would move up, or remain content where I am.

Perhaps the discussion continue.... for, say... about 8-9 months... then, if we have the Houndly skills, attitute, fortitude and drive (not to mention the peds and gear) think about creating an Alpha soc to move immediately into the top 50 and perhaps make a run at LG... that would minimize the time people are "away" from GHI....

Last edited by Coz1969 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hurri

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 6:29 pm

DAMN THIS SHIITY KEYBOARD or it may be me, but a HUUUUGGE reply about this just went foom and I gotta write it all again.

Firstly, I'm now Hurri here, as somehow my full name of Hurrikane has been linked to a different e-mail address than the only one I've used in 8 years.

Hmm, how to write a shorter reply than before....

Right, I don't like the idea much.

The Irregulars (yes, named after the military units of old) were formed with the idea that we'd take anyone as long as they were content to stay and play with us. Loyalty, trust and friendship make for a better gaming experience for all of us. The Irregulars that inspired the name were mixed units of trained and untrained soldiers, stragglers and those left over from destroyed units; drafted in to make up the numbers on the battlefield.

If people leave us to join a soc more intent on reaching the top 50 I can't stop them. If they want to call themselves a Hound-ish name I will be flattered. But I'm staying with the GloryHound Irregulars, it's the only soc I ever wanted to be in.

If people want to form a Noob Soc for evaluation purposes, I can only see one problem; that those with low skills in the Hounds would be asked to leave. I am very against that happening. No-one was asked to be a hard-core skilling machine when they joined, and should not be expected to be, just to stay in the soc.

I suppose the main question here is how important for everyone is it that we reach Top 50?

There are only two ways of achieving this that I can see, from here;

1. Kicking all the non-skilling low-level players to a Noob soc/Making a higher level Soc just for the top players.
2. Playing until the passage of time claims lesser socs in terms of dedication and staying power, making us Top 50 by default through inevitable improvement.

Now to me, getting to Top 50 seems a long way off by either method. But I'd prefer to get there by method 2. I actually don't think it would be a bad thing to never get there. The Top 50 status could be taken to mean "a soc which booted all its noobs to get famous".

So that's my opinion on the matter; if high-skilled players wish to form the GloryHound Regulars/GloryHound Wolfpack (etc) then they go with my blessing, I'll miss ya but hey, what doesn't change given time?
If someone wished to form the Underdogs/GloryHound Prospects (etc) then they also have my blessing, but I will not drop anyone from the existing Soc on account of having low skills, and this Soc would be for evaluating new additions only (or those who sweat more than hunt who wished to join).

But if no-one does either I will be happiest.

I think what the soc needs is a decent website with facts and stats for each member, including on-line hours and preferences for play. I've been away, I came back to end up plunged into the WoF, and the Soc has coped very well; but I feel a little more interaction and organisation will keep the Soc as it was always meant to be; fun for all, for years to come.

Hurrikane
Back to top Go down
warpath

warpath

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 7:04 pm

thanks for the reply Hurri, I do see the reason behind ur points.

The main reason I want us to have a top 50 position is I would one day, in a ouple of years time wish to participate cometetivily in a Land Grab, and it seems that MA are limiting them to top 50 socs.

Saying that I would be more than satisfied with Coz's idea that when we get enough skills amongst us and a land grab is looming splinter off then in an attempt to gain one of those positions.
Back to top Go down
Zar

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Since I have been on EU I have seen the land grab change every single time. I would not worry about it always being for a top 50 society, but even then it is really only for the real ubers.

Last LG I tried to get close to watch a few times and I was getting PKd before I was close enough to make out who might be aiming at me. I'm afraid I would need 4 times my current skills to be able to participate in an LG and by then the ubers will have increased their skills probably as much.
Back to top Go down
Chopper

Chopper

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 7:11 am

Right now I have exactly ZERO interest in the Land Grab, with my skills and with my shitty 5600 gfx card, I have exactly ZERO chance of getting anywhere near a Land Marker lol

One day though, One day...
Back to top Go down
angus

angus

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Just trying to get my skills up at mo as mine are quite low in the Hounds.
One day though, One day...[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alpha Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alpha Dogs   Alpha Dogs Empty

Back to top Go down

Alpha Dogs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gloryhound Irregulars :: Hound Chat :: General discussion-
Jump to: